Business License Division

Pursuant to Bellflower Municipal Code Section 5.04, a license is required in order to conduct business in the city. Every business, unless specifically exempted by the State, pays an annual local business tax. Business license applications and information on the tax amounts may be obtained at City Hall. Most business licenses can be issued on the same day; however, additional approvals and documents may be required prior to issuance of a business license.


For business license related questions, please contact the following staff:

Carolina Contreras
Executive Assistant I
(562) 804-1424 ext. 2008


  • Assists business owners in preparing and submitting a business license application.

Starting a Business

Owning a business can be a big step for many first-timers. The City of Bellflower would like to make the process as painless as possible, as it can be both exciting and scary at the same time if this is a first time adventure. There are so many questions, each with different answers - where does one get started? Hopefully the following information can ease your mind, simplify the process, and be a reminder to stay in compliance with City, County, State, and Federal requirements.

Quick Tip: Never sign a lease before contacting the City for land use approval.

Find the perfect location, and, before you sign a lease, ask yourself, "Who will be/are my customers? How accessible is the location? Will it be easy to find? Will the location suit my business?"

Zone (determined by the city):
Find out if the location is in a city zone that permits your particular type of business. Call the Planning Department and have the address ready.

County Requirement: 
Fictitious Name - if you want to name your business any other name than your own, also known as a "DBA" (Doing Business As), it must be filed with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's Office.

City Requirements: 
All businesses are required to obtain a business license. To apply for a new business license or renew a business license online, please click below:

*There may be additional permits needed for the business. Contact the following Divisions/Department for inquiries:

  • Business License: For City Business License information, including requirements and fees.
  • Planning: For a Banner Permit (valid for 60 days); Sign Permit (to install a new sign or revise a current sign); Temporary Use Permit (TUP) (to temporarily add or revise the use of your property); Conditional Use Permit (CUP) (to permanently add additional uses to the current property).
  • Building: For Building, Mechanical, and Electrical Permits, or for occupancy issues, remodeling or maintaining a building.
  • Public Works: For Public Right-of-Way work or information. Contact Public Works.
  • Code Enforcement: Report a business operating without a business license. Contact Code Enforcement.

State Requirements: Many businesses require additional permits from the State. Check the list below to ensure you have obtained the required permits to operate your business.

Federal Requirement: Any business that has employees requires a Federal Tax ID Number; contact the Internal Revenue Service.

Finance Tracking: Open a checking account for the business. Keeping business and personal accounts separate makes filing taxes easier.

Film Permit Process: The Film Permit application can be found below on the PDF link under "Business License Permit Forms."  For film permit inquires or application submittal requirements please contact Film Permit Coordinator Eric Nichols of Pacific Production Services, Inc. at: (Phone) 323-260-4777 or (Fax) 323-415-6180 or (website)


Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Descending Order within category

Business License Division6 documents

  • Business License Application
    document seq 1.00
  • Closeout Business License Form
    document seq 0.00
  • Courtesy Contact Directory
    document seq 0.00
  • Zoning Clearance Form
    document seq 0.00
  • Business License Application - Property Information
    document seq 0.00
  • Home Occupation Application
    document seq 0.00

Business License Permit Forms16 documents

  • Application for Amusement, Dances Entertainment Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Application for Mechanical & Electronic Amusement Devices
    document seq 0.00
  • Application for Tow Car Business
    document seq 0.00
  • Bingo License
    document seq 0.00
  • Block Party Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Escort Bureau
    document seq 0.00
  • Film Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Fire and Closing Out Sale License
    document seq 0.00
  • Fortune Telling Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • News Rack Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Parade Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Patrol System and Private Patrolmen Business
    document seq 0.00
  • Sales of Goods and Merchandise from a Motor Vehicle
    document seq 0.00
  • Sidewalk Vendors Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Solicitors Permit
    document seq 0.00
  • Taxi Business and other Vehicles for Hire
    document seq 0.00