COVID-19 Information


LA County guidance about Halloween 

How do I test for COVID-19?

Updated Health Officer Order (10/14/20)

Face Covering Requirement Order issued by Gov. Newsom (6/18/20) 

County of Los Angeles COVID-19 Dashboard 

View: LA County Moratorium on Evictions

View: City of Bellflower Declaration of Emergency

What does safer at home mean? (Click here)

View: Letter from Bellflower Mayor Juan Garza


Please see the following information related to the evolving COVID-19 emergency as it pertains to Bellflower.

Call your doctor:  If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice. Watch for symptoms: Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.


The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.


City Facilities

Bellflower City Hall, Public Safety and Public Works will now allow in-person appointments. Starting on Monday, June 22, 2020, facilities will be open to visitors with appointments or in need of cashiering services. The City will be adhering to the L.A. County Public Health requirements to ensure the safety of visitors and employees.

Most city services can still be carried out very effectively over the phone or online, which is encouraged because the COVID-19 pandemic is still with us. 

Those entering city facilities must adhere to a check-in process and submit to safety measures which include temperature checks, wearing a face covering, use of hand sanitizer and keeping social distance. Seating, restrooms, and water fountains remain closed. If you do not pass the health screening, you will not be allowed to enter City Hall for your safety and the safety of others, but you will be offered a flyer of city services you can conduct over the phone or online.

City Hall: 562-804-1424
Building Dept: 562-804-1424 ext. 2006
Public Works: 562-804-1424 ext. 2259
Public Safety: 562-925-0124


City Activities and Events

Effective March 16, 2020, all non-essential public community events and group activities were postponed or canceled in order to limit the risk of exposing staff and the public to COVID-19.


The current Health Officer Order replaces the previous Health Officer Order and allows for retailers and manufacturers, select recreational facilities, and beaches to reopen. Retail businesses, manufacturing and logistic businesses are required to prepare, implement and post their plan for adhering to directives including distancing and infection control practices that protect both employees and customers. Employees who can work from home should be doing so, and any staff who are in a group at greater risk of serious illness from COVID-19, like older adults and people with underlying health conditions, should be assigned work that can be done from home, if possible. All employees need to be given a written copy of the protocol for keeping them safe while working. Everyone must follow distancing and infection control protocols, stay at least six feet apart and wear a clean cloth face covering that securely covers both your nose and mouth when in contact with other people not in your household.

LA County Sheriff’s Department

In order to be better prepared for every contingency, all LASD vacations have been canceled for a period of weeks. Various personnel have been shifted from current positions to the patrol function so as to be available for more visible street level service.  Less serious crime reports (e.g. property) will be written via phone conversations rather than deploying a deputy/CSO out into private party residences.  The non-emergency phone number for Lakewood Station remains at (562) 623-3500. Sheriff’s personnel working at the Substation can still be reached at (562) 925-0124. For an emergency call 9-1-1.

City Public Safety Department

The Bellflower Sheriff Substation (16615 Bellflower Blvd.) will remain closed to the public from March 16th until further notice.  Both City and County personnel will be working inside to meet public needs via telephone, e-mail, fax, texting, etc.  Individuals can still conduct business at the Substation in-person on a limited basis by appointment only. Community Service Officers (CSOs) will still perform parking enforcement duties throughout the city. Street sweeping enforcement is continuing as well per posted signage. 

Parking citations and permits may be paid on-line, by mail, via phone, or in-person by appointment only.  Late penalties and other considerations may be relaxed with cause in order to be responsive to the difficulty of the times.  Anyone who has questions or concerns about a parking citation should call the Substation at (562) 925-0124.  Staff working there can take your concern under review.

Tickets can be paid online:

Reports can be filed on line at:

Parking Permits can be obtained online at:

Senior Meals

Meals on Wheels -  Operated by Human Services Association (HSA) for registered participants. Registration is currently being accepted for new participants. Pick up reservations are also being accepted for those that normally dine at the congregate meals sites. For more information, please call (562) 806-5400, ext. 218.

Food Banks / Resources

If you need food during this time please use the link below to find a food bank near you.


Los Angeles County is committed to preventing hunger and ensuring access to food for all residents. The County is currently mobilizing a Countywide response to hunger by coordinating public agencies, nonprofits, and volunteers to provide meals to anyone in need during the weeks and months to come.

Starting today, LA County residents can visit the County COVID-19 website's food portal to receive or provide support at this critical time.

Individuals or Families in Need Can:

  • Get help with food expenses (apply here & see eligibility requirements here)
  • Find free food near you
  • Get food delivery assistance (online or by calling 1-888-863-7411)
  • Dial 2-1-1 for assistance, if you do not have access to the Internet

Providers/Nonprofits in Need Can:

Ways LA County Residents Can Help:

For more information on program sign-up information, maps, and frequently asked questions — visit the County COVID-19 website's food portal.

Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Theaters, Entertainment Centers and Fitness Centers

All bars, clubs, theaters, entertainment centers and fitness centers (indoor activities) are ordered to be closed by LA County Department of Public Health until further notice. Restaurants will be permitted to serve takeout or delivery food and outdoor dining only. Grocery stores will remain open. If you are able to, please continue supporting the small businesses in our community during this difficult time. Here are some ways you can help local businesses survive this crisis:  buying gift cards, shopping local, dining local, taking advantage of discounts and ordering in. 

BUSD Announcement / Correspondence

Bellflower Unified School District (BUSD) is now offering a rigorous online instructional program for the fall semester. At this time BUSD offers troubleshooting tips for distance learning and technical support

For updates visit the BUSD website: 

Grab and Go Meals are now being distributed everyday for enrolled students. For more information about breakfast and lunch meal service click here.

Parks & Recreation

The Department of Parks & Recreation has developed a new Virtual Recreation and Resource Center for the community online that includes fun, education, and valuable resources.

Most City events, rental permits, recreation classes, and programming are cancelled through the remainder of 2020. Participants were all notified. This included individual facility reservations at facilities where large groups may gather. At this time, outdoor, open space areas of parks that are not gated or locked are not restricted, but the public should be complying with social distancing recommendations ordered by the state. All playgrounds remain closed. Bellflower Aquatic Center is open for limited swim hours / reservations required.

Greater Bellflower Little League’s season has been suspended. For more information call (562) 529-2334.

For Los Cerritos YMCA programming and operations updates, please call (562) 925-1292.

The Bellflower Certified Farmers Market is open and operating every Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Simms Park parking lot, 16614 S. Clark Avenue. Please plan to wear a face covering and follow all posted guidelines upon arrival. EBT is gladly accepted.

Staff is available at each facility during regular business hours. Necessary in-person meetings can be scheduled via appointment, but no new rental reservations (indoor or outdoor) are being accepted until further notice. To contact the Parks and Recreation department call: (562) 804-1424 ext. 2268.

Local Transportation Services

Bellflower’s fixed route and Dial-A-Ride transportation services are operating as scheduled as for now. For more information call (562) 865-7433.

Trash Collection

Trash collection will continue normal operations. 

Public Works

The Public Works Department can be reached at (562) 804-1424, ext. 2259.


Graffiti Hotline: (562) 920-5533

Business Licenses

City of Bellflower’s business license application, renewal and balance due payments can be submitted and processed at City Hall (cashier walk-up welcome) or online at or by mail: City of Bellflower, Attention: Business License, 16600 Civic Center Drive, Bellflower, CA 90706

Completed business license application form, renewal notice, or balance due letter with payment can be mailed to the address above. Please make the check payable to the City of Bellflower. Business license staff will reach out to the business owner using the information provided on the application form or renewal notice if additional information is required.

For questions regarding a business license renewal or balance due letter, please call (562) 804-1424 ext. 2231. For questions regarding the business license application, please call (562) 804-1424 ext. 2008 or 2273. City staff is reachable over the phone during the City’s normal business hours.

Building Permits

Physical appointments for service will be considered on a case-by-case basis and in a way that maintains social distancing standards. Please call (562) 804-1424 ext. 2006.

Building Inspections

Building inspection appointments for service will be considered on a case-by-case basis and in a way that maintains social distancing standards. For appointments please call (562) 804-1424 ext. 2230 (this is an automated recording that provides instructions on how to request an inspection and leave a message).

City Clerk's Office

Access to Public Records

To view the Bellflower Municipal Code, visit: view readily available public records such as agenda materials, resolutions, and ordinances, visit the City Records Archive here:

Request public records not found in the City Records Archive, submit a Public Records Request Form or an email with a detailed description of the records sought to  City records will be searched and a response provided to you within 10 calendar days.  L.A. County records such as birth, death, or marriage certificates, contact the L.A. County Registrar-Recorder’s Office at:

City Council Meetings

City Council Meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at 7 p.m. at City Hall, excluding legal holidays and the fourth Mondays in July and December.  For the most current information regarding City Council Meetings, contact the City Clerk's Office at (562) 804-1424, ext. 2271, or via email at, or visit:

Bellflower Brakensiek Library

All Los Angeles County Library locations are closed but 46 libraries offer Sidewalk Service. Statement from the County: “The health and wellness of our staff and customers is our main concern and we did not make this decision lightly. Based on recommendations by LA County Department of Public Health to limit the number of people in a public building, we feel this decision is the best step to help curtail further spread of COVID-19 in our communities.

Due dates for borrowed materials have reconvened. Customers can contact their local library Monday – Friday, 9 am – 6 pm for information, services, and resources during the closure.

Library COVID-19 info:

Bellflower Library Website:

SEAACA’s Animal Control

In response to growing concerns surrounding Novel Coronavirus, SEAACA’s Care Center will be closed to the members of the public effective, March 19, 2020. This decision was not taken lightly and numerous factors were considered. SEAACA will proceed with modified operations and appointment based services in order to continue assisting the community with reuniting lost pets with their owners and finding new homes for adoptable pets.  

Updated modifications in operations will be implemented until further notice. Website: 

Emergency Resources for Small Businesses

For information related to your small business you can visit the county website.

Payment Protection Program for Small Businesses

FAQs for Small Business California click here


Coronavirus Emergency Loans Small Business Guide and checklist Info

Price Gouging

Are COVID-19 fears costing you money? Protect yourself from price gouging during the COVID-19 emergency be reporting it to LA County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs at (800) 593-8222 for investigation. They can help you avoid scams and understand your consumers rights.

Telephone #: (800) 593-8222   Website:

To report price gouging businesses call or visit the website below:

Telephone #: (800) 952-5225     Website:

Californians are protected from illegal price gouging on housing, gas, food, and other essentials. If you experience gouging, submit a complaint to the Attorney General of California Xavier Becerra at or by calling (800) 952-5225.

Unemployment Insurance, Disability and Paid Family leave Benefits

The California Employment Department provides a variety of support services to individuals affected by COVID-19 in California. If you can’t work, are being required to work less, or are unable to work due to your child(ren)’s school shut downs due to COVID-19, visit for more information.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), is now available (April 28, 2020), for self employed, independent contactors, and for those who may not qualify for traditional EDD unemployment benefits. To learn more visit

You do not have to be diagnosed with COVID-19 to take a paid sick day. You may be able to use Paid Sick Leave (PSL) for prevention if you or your family member have been exposed to COVID-19. Retaliation for lawful use of PSL is prohibited.

Eviction and Tenant/Landlord disputes

The City has received inquiries regarding the eviction of tenants during the COVID-19 emergency. The following orders from the Governor of the State of California contains some information regarding tenant evictions, and there may be other and additional orders that may be issued by governmental entities (the City of Bellflower has not issued any orders regarding evictions):  and

Additionally, California Penal Code §396(f) may provide relevant information depending on your individual circumstances:

There may be additional information available for landlords through the California Apartments Association and for tenants through the Western Center on Law and poverty

The City is providing all of the above links as they are a matter of public information. Nothing in this information should be construed as, nor is intended to be, legal advice. This is simply information regarding the topic. Tenants and landlords should consult their own legal counsel regarding their unique situations.

Disaster/Distress Helpline

The National Disaster Distress Helpline offers 24/7 confidential emotional support for those who have experienced a disaster and may be experiencing distress, including responders, rescue & relief workers. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746.

Website:    Telephone:  1-800-985-5990    Text:  text TalkWithUs to 66746

Various Utilities Offering Assistance Due to COVID-19

SoCalGas Announces Suspension of Service Disconnections as Part of Company’s COVID-19 Response. Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced a suspension of service disconnections to any customers who are having a hard time paying their bill. This policy will remain in effect until further notice. Customers are encouraged to call 1-877-238-0092 to speak with a representative about their bill. SoCalGas customer service is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.

SCE Responds to COVID-19 Emergency, Suspends Service Disconnections - Southern California Edison (SCE) announced that it is suspending service disconnections for nonpayment and waiving late fees, effective immediately, for residential and business customers impacted by the COVID-19 emergency. Details on these programs are available at or by calling 1-800-950-2356.

Verizon Will Help Residents and Small Businesses Disrupted by Impact of COVID-19 by Waiving Late Fees and Keeping Customers Connected - Verizon announced for the next 60 days it will waive late fees that any residential or small business customers incur because of their economic circumstances related to the coronavirus. In addition, the company will not terminate service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills due to disruptions caused by the Coronavirus.

Starting Monday, March 16, the Charter Communications-owned company will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with children in grades K-12 or in college who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. Families can call (844) 488-8395 to enroll. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.

Water System Information

Please note that there are four (4) separate water companies that provide water to residents and businesses in Bellflower.  Please check your latest water bill statement in order to identify which water company provides service to your home or business.  Information for each of these water companies is listed below.

Bellflower Municipal Water System

The offices for the Bellflower Municipal Water are currently closed to the public until further notice during the COVID-19 pandemic. The City would like to remind MWS customers that payments can be made via U.S. postal delivery or payment can be made through the 24-hour dropbox at the MWS office. The office is located at 10016 Flower Street, directly across from the LA County Courthouse Building.  Payments can only be made by check or money order at this time.  During this national emergency, the City of Bellflower will temporarily suspend non-emergency turnoffs and late fees.  Additionally, all MWS customers should know that the water the City provides remains safe as COVID-19 has no impact on water supply coming from the tap.  For any questions, please call the City of Bellflower at (562) 804-1424.

Bellflower-Somerset Mutual Water Company

For the health and safety of our stockholders and staff, BSMWC will be closed to walk-in customers until further notice during the COVID-19 emergency.  BSMWC would like to remind customers that payments can be made at home online at, with check or money order at our dropbox which is located outside of our office, or by calling (844) 793-3989.  BSMWC will temporarily suspend late fees and turn offs during the office closure. BSMWC would like to remind our stakeholders that the water we provide remains safe. COVID-19 has no impact on the quality or supply of your tap.  For more information, please call (562) 866-9980 or visit

Bellflower Home Garden Water Company

For Bellflower Home Garden Water Company customers, please contact the office for any questions related to water service and payments. The office number is (562) 531-8586.

Liberty Utilities Water Company

For Liberty Utilities Water Company customers, please contact the customer service line at (800) 727-5987 or visit their website at

For the best and latest information on COVID-19, always check with trusted sources:

Los Angeles County Department of Public Health

California Department of Public Health

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

World Health Organization

L.A. County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs

L.A. County residents can also call 2-1-1

LA County Public Health Notice

Mobile food vending is allowed in the City of Bellflower with a valid Sidewalk Vendor Permit from the City and a Public Health Permit from the LA County Health Department.  Currently, the City of Bellflower does not have any authorized food vendors.  For more information:

Social Media Info

The City has been circulating alerts and messages through our social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.  Make sure to follow us: